Airline Academy Training

Pilot Training and Licencing Post Brexit - Q&A

  • Article by Pete Hogston - Head of Airline Training, L3Harris
  • Published
  • Duration 5 minute read

Pilot training and licencing post Brexit; what’s changed and what does it mean for aspiring aviators wanting to take the first step towards a career on the flight deck?

Our Head of Airline Training, Pete Hogston joined us for a Q&A session and here’s what he told us.

UKCAA versus EASA licence: What’s the difference and what’s the right choice for me?

Since the UK officially left the EU on 1 January 2021 what has changed at L3Harris Airline Academy in regards to pilot training and what licence are cadets issued on graduation?

At L3Harris Airline Academy we still offer Integrated and Modular training courses to help cadets achieve their Air Transport Pilot licence (ATPL). On successful completion of an ATPL course cadets will graduate with a ‘frozen’ ATPL the minimum requirement to apply for airline jobs and begin your pilot career.

So post Brexit, what National Aviation Authority (NAA) issues an L3Harris ATPL?

At L3Harris we offer cadets a choice. Our ATPL training course offers the choice to train for a UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), European Union Aviation Safety Authority (EASA) issued ATPL, or both. 

It is also worth noting our CAA and EASA licences are fully recognised by, and compliant with, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) regulations - ICAO is responsible for Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS) for the aviation industry globally.

Contact us

What are the implications of these changes on medicals?

When applying for a pilot licence the country issuing the licence must also hold the pilot’s medical records. For example, if you wanted to apply for an EASA licence issued by the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) that same authority must hold your Class 1 Medical. If a pilot holds a CAA licence they must pass a UK Class 1 Medical.

You cannot have your medical records held by the CAA and get an EASA licence or vice versa.

Does the licence issue determine what airline a pilot can fly for?

To fly for a UK registered airline, such as British Airways, a pilot must hold a CAA licence. To fly for an EU member state airline, such as Ryanair, a pilot will need an EASA licence. The EASA licence does not necessarily need to be issued by the same member state where the airline is registered as some EU airlines accept any EASA licence.

Before deciding which licence to train for a pilot must consider where they have the right to live and work. This is particularly important for UK nationals/residents since 1 January 2021 now the UK is no longer an EU Member State.

Is it possible to transfer an ATPL pilot licence? And what is the process?

Yes, it is possible to transfer a licence. When transferring between EASA member states pilots must complete a State Of Licence Issue (SOLI) transfer. This can be a simple process as EU member states recognise each others EASA issued licence – it usually involves completing a transfer form and paying a small fee.

Prior to Brexit the UK was a member state of the EU therefore the CAA was part of EASA and would follow the process as described above. However, post Brexit If pilots want to transfer a CAA licence to an EASA licence or vice versa it will involve a conversion of your licence, which may include additional requirements being met depending on the member state being transferred to.

Integrated ATPL

Contact us

What's Next?

If you are feeling inspired by this article then why not take a look at all the pilot training programmes we have to offer? Or reach out to our team to discuss in more detail.