Airline Academy Airline Solutions Training

UKCAA or EASA? Why not choose both with L3Harris’ dual licence?

  • Article by Eugene Moriarty - Director of Flight Operations, L3Harris Airline Academy
  • Published
  • Duration 3 minute read

The dilemma:

Since the UK left the EU back in January 2020 a question often asked by aspiring pilots is: ‘should I train for a UKCAA or an EASA licence?’

It’s a fair question and one that can be difficult to answer as it depends on the individual’s circumstances:

1. Where do you have the right to live and work?

This is usually determined by where you were born (your nationality) or where you have permanent residence (your citizenship).

2. Where do you want to be based during your career?

If you want to be live and work outside of your country/area of nationality or citizenship you will need to be able to obtain a work visa.

3. What airlines do you aspire to fly for?

If you aim to fly for a UK based or registered airline such as easyJet or British Airways, you would need a UKCAA issued licence; conversely, if you wish to fly for an airline which operates from or is registered in an EU Member State, such as Ryanair or easyJet, then you will require an EASA licence (easyJet does conduct some operations requiring UK CAA licence).

A potential solution:

At L3Harris we have been providing cadet pilot training for over 40 years and we are using all that knowledge and experience to offer a combined solution. The L3Harris dual licence enables cadets to obtain both licences in one course; all training is delivered in accordance with approved syllabi and is compliant with both UKCAA and EASA regulations.

Cadets enrolled in the programme will sit both UKCAA and EASA theoretical knowledge exams and complete the Instrument Rating flying skills test in both the UK and EU airspace. Due to L3Harris’ Academy locations in the UK and Portugal, and the qualifications of its instructors, L3Harris can deliver all the requirements needed to achieve a dual licence.

The hybrid course will be available to new cadets as early December 2021 and will open greater opportunities on graduation as dual licence holders can begin careers with either UKCAA or EASA registered airline operators. This could be particularly significant as the global vaccine roll-out continues at pace and countries open borders, leading to increased demand for air travel and in turn an increased demand for pilots.

Start your journey with our Integrated ATPL

Pilot training and licensing post Brexit

Contact us

What's next?

If you are feeling inspired by this article then we have several others that could be of interest to you. Excited for the next step? Feel free to look at our guides on ‘How to become a pilot’ as well as our FAQs.

Previous post
  • Published
  • Duration 3 minute read
  • Published
  • Duration 3 minute read
Next post