Course details and qualifications
Course details and qualifications
- Status: Full-time
- Duration of airline pilot Bachelor's degree: 2-4 years, subject to scheduling
- Type: Associate / Bachelor's Degree
- Required experience for aviation degree: Little or none
- Location: Sanford, Florida and Jacksonville, Florida
funding available to
those who qualify
graduates who stay as CFI
placed with airlines
single and multi-engine
How does a college degree prepare you for being a pilot?
When a pilot degree is combined with pilot training, on completion you will be awarded:
- Instrument Rating
- Commercial Pilot Single-Engine Certified
- Commercial Multi-Engine Add-on Rating
- Certified Flight Instructor
- Associate’s or Bachelor's degree
These qualifications provide you with good standing to find a career with a regional or major airline.
An airline pilot bachelor’s degree offers the best preparation for becoming a pilot. During the last two years of your education, you will be required to find placement opportunities with airliners making this approach extremely career-orientated.
What aircraft will I learn to fly on?
At our flight school in Florida, we have an impressive fleet of over 60 single-and-multi-engine aircraft. Our training aircraft are IFR certified and regularly inspected by our FAA-certified machines to ensure they meet the highest safety standards.
Our single-engine aircraft include:
- Cirrus SR20
- Cessna 172P & 172SP
- Piper Archer PA28
Our multi-engine aircraft include:
- Piper Seminole
When not out on our training fleet, you will practice flying on a range of Flight Training Devices (FTDs) which emulate real-life flying experiences. Our range includes:
- A Level 6 FAA-approved Cirrus SR20 FTD
- A Level 4 FAA-approved Piper PA44 FTD
- A line of AviatorTM Cirrus SR20 Advanced Aviation Training Devices (AATD)
- Two Frasca International Inc. TruFlite AATDs
- One Piper PA44
- One Cessna 172SP
- A Redbird MCX AATD that can be configured as a Cessna 172SP
- A Piper PA44 round dial with 2 Garmin 430 GPS receivers
- A PA44 all-glass Garmin G1000
How can I fund my pilot degree course?
L3Harris Flight Academy offers funding options such as scholarships, loans, and grants.
Flight School State Loans:
- Vermont Advantage Loan is eligible for Vermont residents attending out-of-state schools
- American Airlines credit education loan is eligible for members of American Airlines Credit Union
- Alaska Resident Loan is eligible for Alaska residents attending out-of-state schools
- New Jersey Class Loan is eligible for NJ residents attending out-of-state schools
- Florida National Guide: Educational Dollars for Duty is eligible for Florida National Guard Soldiers and Airmen
- Veterans Scholarship is eligible for honorably discharged USA Veterans enrolling in the PPP or AAPT.
- High School Scholarship is eligible to high school seniors enrolling in the PPP or AAPT programs
Where will I train to complete my degree and pilot training?
You can either study for an airline pilot Bachelor's degree at Seminole State College of Florida (SSC), or Jacksonville University (JU). For either course, you will complete your pilot training at the L3Harris USA Flight Academy in Orlando, Florida.
How long does it take to complete a college degree?
It may take 2-years to complete an Associate’s Degree from Seminole State College of Florida (SSC), where you can transfer credits over from your flying courses to your degree.
Alternatively, you can complete a 4-year airline pilot Bachelor's Degree at Jacksonville University (JU).
What is next after completing your airline pilot bachelor’s degree?
After completing your airline pilot Bachelor's degree, you will be able to apply to the major and regional airlines across the USA. Becoming a Flight Instructor allows you to build up the necessary flying hours before embarking on a career as a commercial pilot.
Take your first step towards becoming an airline pilot and apply today. Good luck and we look forward to welcoming you to our Flight Academy!